What is a cookie?
Cookies are small files of letters and numbers that are downloaded onto your computer or mobile or other handheld device when you access certain websites. Cookies allow a website to recognise a user’s device and help your browser navigate through the website by allowing you to log in automatically or remembering settings you selected during earlier visits (among other functions). Cookies do not harm your computer. If you would like to learn more about cookies in general you can visit www.allaboutcookies.org.
The Language Guys will not disclose information about our customers to third parties except where it is part of providing core services, including, but not limited to teaching, payment, billing, carrying out credit and other security checks and for the purposes of customer research and profiling or where we have your express permission to do so.
The Language Guys will not sell your name, address, e-mail address, credit card information or personal information to any third party without your permission, but we cannot be responsible or held liable for the actions of any third party involved in the ordering, payment, printing, processing and delivery of your order.
If you have made a purchase from The Language Guys we may occasionally update you on our latest products, news and special offers via e-mail, post & telephone. You do have the option to opt out of this contact, if you wish to do so please get in touch via the ‘Contact’ section of the Website.
Our site stores cookies, these are files sent to your computer or other device used to improve your experience on the Website, with these working in numerous ways such as, remembering preferences, as well as ensuring products and adverts you see are appropriate to you.
In most cases you can change your browser settings to prevent cookies being stored without your consent.
Unfortunately the Internet is not completely secure, therefore we cannot guarantee the security of any data or content transmitted to our Website, therefore any transmission is done so at your own risk. Any information received by us will be contained under strict security measures.
Your personal information will be used by third parties involved in the teaching and processing of your order. We may also disclose your personal information to third parties or companies in the event that we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal data in order to comply with any legal obligation, or in order to enforce or apply our terms of; or to protect the rights, property, or safety of The Language Guys, our customers, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organisations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
Our site may contain links to and from the websites of our partner networks, advertisers and other third parties. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that they have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites.
If you wish to check over the details you have submit to The Language Guys please contact us via the ‘Contact Us’ section of this Website. In order to access this information you will need to provide proof of identity of which we feel is suitable. You must keep all of the information registered with us safe as we are not responsible for the actions of anyone impersonating, or using your account or information.
We would strongly recommend that you do not use the browser’s password memory function as that would permit other people using your terminal to access your personal information.
Your account is password protected. We limit the access to your Personal Information to those employees and contractors who need access to perform their job function. If you have any questions about the security on the Website, please contact us via the ‘Contact Us’ section of this Website.
You have the right to access the information which The Language Guys holds about you and your right of access can be exercised in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998. You may lodge an access request for free, but depending upon the personal information you request, we may impose a charge to recover our costs in providing you with details of the information we hold about you. We will notify you of any such change upon receiving your access request, and confirm whether you wish to proceed and pay such charge.
You can contact us
Via the “Contact Us” section of the website
Or write to us at;
The Language Guys
Riverside Innovation Centre
University of Chester
CH1 1SL, U.K.
Terms and Conditions
The following terms and conditions apply to students who are studying with The Language Guys Ltd, Castle Drive, Chester, CH1 1SL.
Non residential language courses
Unless otherwise stated, courses run on monthly subscriptions, we require customers to sign up to our automated card payment service. Customers are subscribed for the full stated duration of the course. Failed payments are charged at £7 each.
• Course books and materials are not included in the tuition fees.
• If students return to The Language Guys for another course, they will not be charged the registration fee.
• The minimum age is 16 years old. There is no maximum age.
• The Languauge Guys strictly adheres to the published age limits for courses but reserves the right to accept students who are slightly younger than the advertised minimum age. Bookings from students outside the published age limits are treated on a case by case basis.
• Students aged 16 and 17 are not supervised (except in lessons).
• Bookings at The Language Guys are made on the basis that other students on our courses may be over 18.
• Students under the age of 18 are children in British law. All students under 18 are expected to abide by UK laws which relate to the restriction of activities to under 18 year olds – in particular the purchase and consumption of alcohol and tobacco.
• If any student under the age of 18 wishes to study at The Language Guys, the person or people with parental responsibility for them in their own country should complete a consent form and return it to the Admissions Team with a copy of their ID. This form outlines the rules and conditions that will apply for The Language Guys to accept a booking for a student under 18. The form can be obtained from the school. If for any reason the school does not receive the consent form, it will be assumed that the general rules and conditions outlined in the form have been accepted by the parents/guardian of the student.
• Please note that booking confirmations and accommodation details are normally sent via e-mail. Documents can be sent by post or courier upon request at an additional cost.
• No documents can be issued until we have received:
Completed and signed Registration Form
Copy of Acceptable ID
Accommodation Fees (where accommodation has been booked)
• In all cases where The Language Guys has been requested to mail documents by courier service, courier fees are payable to The Language Guys whether the student attends or cancels for whatever reason.
• In very rare circumstances, the stated maximum class size might be exceeded. If this does happen, it will only be by 2 people.
• The Language Guys reserves the right to cancel or alter a course. If we do so, we will offer either an alternative course or a refund.
• Some courses may not run as advertised if there are not enough students on the course. We reserve the right to offer an alternative option to students in this case.
• Where there is only one person on a particular group course, we reserve the right to offer the cost-equivalent number of 1:1 private lessons.
• If a student’s English level is not suitable for the course they have booked, we reserve the right to move them onto a different course or to refuse admission to the school.
• Beginner level students should start within 3 weeks of the new term to facilitate an easier start to their course.
• If we determine that a student is a beginner (usually A0 or A1 level on the Common European Framework) or very advanced (usually C2 and above on the Common European Framework) after arrival and we are part way through a term then we reserve the right to offer the cost-equivalent number of 1:1 private lessons where a beginners course is not available.
• The school reserves the right to change teachers at any time during the course.
• The school reserves the right to alter dates, fees and any particulars on the website without prior notice.
• Classes take place in both the main school building and additional premises located near the school. The school reserves the right to move classes between rooms and premises as appropriate.
• All fees are payable in pounds sterling (£) and payment can be made as follows:
Via bank transfer on receipt of an invoice from The Language Guys
• Students should mention their name and /or invoice reference number of the transfer so we can identify the origin of the payment.
• Students should send a copy of the transfer receipt by email as proof of payment.
• Payment must be made at least 28 days in advance of the course start date, unless otherwise agreed.
• We accept part payments of course fees with prior approval and subject to a 20% charge.
• For further advice on UK banking please see the following links:
• Please note that the school reserves the right to withhold a student’s leaving certificate if there are any outstanding fees on their booking.
• The registration fee is non-refundable.
• For bookings made ‘at distance’ (for example, via our website, by telephone, by email), students have the right to cancel with a full refund of monies paid, without giving a reason, within 14 days (the Cancellation Period) of our confirmation. The school must receive notice of the cancellation in writing by post or email within the Cancellation Period. We will not start providing services to students during the Cancellation Period unless students request us to do so in writing. We will refund fees paid within 14 days of the date we receive confirmation of cancellation. However, in the case that students have confirmed in writing that they wish us to start providing services within the Cancellation Period, The Language Guys can charge a reasonable sum for the services based on the proportion of the course undertaken and deduct this from any refund payable.
• Cancellation fees are as follows:
Cancellation more than 28 days before the start of the course – Full refund.
Cancellation from 28 days to 7 days before the start of the course – 50% of the course fees may be refunded.
Cancellation less than 7 days before the start of the course – No refund.
Foreign language classes
Unless otherwise stated, courses run on monthly subscriptions, we require customers to sign up to our automated card payment service. Customers are subscribed for the full stated duration of the course, no refunds will be given under any circumstances. Failed payments are charged at £7 each.
• If students want to postpone their course, they must request this in writing.
• Students may only postpone if there is space available on the new course dates that they wish to attend.
• Students can postpone their course to start up to 2 months after the original start date.
Cancellation/Change of Course after Arrival
• If students have to stop their course early, tuition fees are non-refundable under any circumstances.
• Fees are non-transferable. Students cannot transfer their fees to another person or onto another course.
• Any student cancelling their course will no longer be eligible to pay monthly and the remaining courses fees will be due in full within 30 days
• For cancellation of 1:1 private lessons, we require 48 hours notice in order to rearrange the lesson. If students cancel less than 48 hours before their lesson they will be charged the full fees.
• Periods of absence due to accident or sickness are not refundable.
• If students wish to extend their course they may do so, provided there is a place available. As the school is often full, we advise booking an extension at least 2 weeks in advance. Extensions must be paid in full before a place can be reserved.
• Course extensions are charged at the published rate for the number of weeks booked overall (original booking plus extended booking).
• The Language Guys is not open on Saturdays or Sundays or on UK public (bank) holidays.
• Classes missed as a result of a bank or public holiday will not be refunded or compensated.
• Extensions can only be made for full calendar weeks.
• No extensions will be given for students who take holidays during courses with set dates or examination courses. Students should not take holidays during examination courses.
• We keep attendance registers for all students.
• We expect every student to be on time, attend every lesson and complete their homework. Latecomers are not allowed into class.
• If students miss a lesson, regardless of the reason, we cannot give a refund or allow them to take the lesson at another time.
• If a student is asked to leave the school for poor attendance or conduct, their fees will not be refunded.
• Attendance (%) is printed on student’s leaving certificates and this cannot be changed.
• The Language Guys stores student information in electronic and paper format.
• In order to fulfil our obligations to our students, and, in some cases, to the British authorities, it is necessary for us to see and copy student passports (and visas if applicable), to have contact details for them (including a mobile phone number if the student has one), and to have details of their next of kin in their home country. Students must therefore agree to provide these details and keep them up to date if they change.
• By accepting these terms and conditions students accept our right to use their personal information in this way.
• Students and/or parents are reminded of the need to disclose medical information about the student to the school when the booking is made and to enquire prior to enrolling whether the school and accommodation facilities are suitable for the individual’s needs.
• If a student has any specific learning requirements or special needs or physical disabilities, we strongly urge them to declare this at the booking stage. This will allow the school to ensure that we are in a position to consider the requirements in a professional and appropriate manner.
• The Language Guys will assess all declarations on a case by case basis. If the school feels that it does not have the resources or expertise to deal with the issues then this will be communicated prior to arrival in the UK. Where the school judges that it cannot properly accommodate a student’s needs through reasonable adjustment, the school reserves the right to refuse admission.
• If a special need or disability is not disclosed at the time of booking but one is identified after arrival at The Language Guys, then the school will discuss options for special provision as appropriate with the student and/or his or her parents. Please note that the school does not offer a service for identifying special needs and does not have specialist resources to do so. If it becomes clear that we cannot adequately deal with the student’s particular needs through reasonable adjustment or by providing additional support (usually at additional cost), the school will endeavour to find a more appropriate provider in the UK or will make arrangements for the student to return home. We will not be responsible for paying for these arrangements. We will not normally refund fees in these circumstances.
Photographs and Filming
• Classes cannot be filmed or otherwise recorded in any way without the permission (in writing) of The Language Guys.
• The Language Guys may use film or still photographs of students for promotional purposes. Booking a course at The Language Guys implies consent for our student’s images to be used in this way unless they tell us that they do not consent at the booking stage.
• Students (or their parents if they are under 18 years of age) must inform the school in writing before the course starts if they will not allow us to use such images.
• The Language Guys reserves the right to refuse admission to any student or to dismiss any student from school or accommodation without refund in the event of misconduct or unsatisfactory attendance or work. The school expects students to adhere to the standards and rules we set.
• We expect students to behave reasonably at all times towards other students and school staff and to respect cultural, racial and religious differences.
• The Language Guys does not accept any liability in the case of illness, accident, loss or damage to personal effects or property:
occurring on the school premises, except where such liability is imposed under UK law.
where accommodation or transport has been booked through the school.
• The Language Guys does not accept liability for losses or additional expenses student might incur because of cancellation or delays to their travel services.
• The Language Guys is not liable for failure to perform its obligations if such failure is as a result of causes beyond its reasonable control but not limited to Acts of God (including fire, flood, earthquake, storm, hurricane, infectious diseases or pandemics or other natural disaster that are beyond the reasonable control of the parties), war, invasion, act of foreign enemies, hostilities (regardless of whether war is declared), civil war, rebellion, revolution, insurrection, military or usurped power or confiscation, terrorist activities, nationalisation, government sanction, blockage, embargo, labour dispute, strike, lockout or interruption or failure of electricity, internet or telephone service. Refunds will not be made in such circumstances.
• In the event of an outbreak of infectious disease, all students and or parents/guardians are required to comply with rules regarding quarantine as set by government agencies or by the school.
• If The Language Guys asserts Force Majeure as a reason for failure to perform its obligations then we must prove that we took reasonable steps to minimise delay or damages caused by foreseeable events, that the school substantially fulfilled all non-excused obligations, and that the other party (student, etc.) was, where possible, notified of the likelihood or actual occurrence of the event.
Last updated 15/08/2018